Prairie Quilt Finished

 Over the weekend I finished the Prairie Quilt, a free pattern my material girl.  It is a 72" square quilt. I simply stitched in the ditch and some additional straight line quilting.  I was tired a sore from maneuvering the quilt through my domestic sewing machine.

The binding that I chose and premade I reserved.  It was an off white with the quilt color in a line design.  but it was too washed out.  Thankfully I found a nice maroony-red which was perfect.  But extra work and time. I cut my strips using my Stripology ruler and used my CG Folded Corner ruler to trim and sew the mitered ends together.  I use 2.25" strips.

I sew to the back of the quilt and then roll forward to the front.  This method requires extra care with the mitered corners.  The mitered corners typically always look great on the original attachment side (e.g. the backside after you flip).  My corners ended up perfect.  (For a change--seems like one of the four arm wrestles me!).

Once I attached the binding to the back and ironed the seam and binding flat, I took care bringing it over.  I used fusible web (1/4" to get the binding to lay flat on the front. Securing in the fashion assures that the binding stays put as it is securely fitted prior to a needle even piercing the binding. Using the binder attachment with the seam guide scooted my needle over 3 clicks.  The seam guide followed perfectly on the binding flipped edge, and I had a perfect edge stitch.  I slowed my machine down.  I have found it too easy for the work to shift and end up with NO stitch on the binding (in the ditch).  I used my stilletto to guide the work all the way into the needle.  

I put a sunny batik on the back of the quilt.  I was really happy how it turned out.  I will wash it and gift it to my step mom.


0 comments:

Post a Comment