Square in Square Block Construction Testing

 I decided to test a couple of methods in constructing my square in square (diamond in square as some call it). Here's the block.

This block finishes at 5" (trims to 5.5).

Center Square Cut = 4".

HST Square to make the corners was 3 3/8" as exact measure.  I used 3.5".  Deb Tucker's method has you cut a 3.75" square and then cut on diagonal.  I used a 3.5" strip and used my folded corner ruler and cut the triangles.  I'm not sure if one method is better than the other.

I used my Deb Tucker's Square Squared Ruler to make the first square.  She has you cut a 4.25 strip and then you trim away 1/4" to get 4".  She does this to get a perfect cut, but I think it is unnecessary.  Just cut a 4" square and all will be right with the world.

Her ruler is in two pieces.  It has the benefit of having registrations to help with fussy cutting your middle square. 

Her ruler has great marking for the center square.  As with all of her rulers, true up is a dream.

For the non-Deb method, I used my Antler Designs folded corner ruler.  The way the ruler is marked when you line the corner up, you have diagonals that are running from upper left to lower right...so it lines up perfectly with the square diagonal. As you can see these lines, which are 1/4 inch spaced, help you trim a multitude of stuff , to include flying geese.

It's a very useful ruler.

Conclusion:  Both methods yielded slightly oversized, easy to trim/square pieces that were perfect. No difference between either of the methods except for a little more nominal trim.  The square squared tool is not necessary, but is helpful to those who don't wish to grub around for cutting sizes, etc.  And it solidified that this method of attaching triangles (no matter how fashioned) is far superior to the pattern's recommended oversizing the center square and oversizing squares to mark and sew a diagonal and then cut off the excess.

And yes, you could foundation piece, but I don't believe that method yields any benefits over the above two.




0 comments:

Post a Comment