New Music for a New Year



Happy New Year!

I was captivated by the music on the HBO Latino Series, Profugos. The artist is Camilla Moreno. I have much to say about the series, which is one of my favorite of all time, but not for today. The music is used in Profugos in a way that but inextricable from all of the other modalities: actors, script, scene. So enchanted I was by some of the instrumentals and vocals of much of the music, I was compelled to seek out the talent. Here she is performing one of my favorite songs.  My favorite is "Antes Que", though I did not find a good video on it.    

As a non-Spanish speaker, I have little idea of the lyrics, even when translated.  But I love the earnestness in her voice, instrumentation used in different ways, the energy in her playing, and the surprising percussive elements.

I hope you will take a listen.  If you are an HBO subscriber and want to move outside of your language, you might consider giving HBO Latino series, Profugos, a watch.  I found it compelling on so many levels:  storyline, acting, music and the extraordinary vistas of Chile--a country of many geographic contrasts of breathtaking beauty.

As for New Year's resolutions....

I think that Miyamoto Musashi's wisdom is worth contemplating daily.  My sole resolution is to print this out and put it by my computer to do just that.  I particularly like #9:  Do not do anything useless!

The Book of Five Rings
Miyamoto Musashi
Translated by Thomas Cleary, 1993; 1997 Barnes & Noble Books

~~~~~
Two essential elements of ancient martial and strategic traditions:
  • The first of these basic principles is keeping inwardly calm and clear even in the midst of violent chaos;
  • The second is not forgetting about the possibility of disorder in times order.
~~~~~
Harmony and disharmony in rhythm occur in every walk of life. It is imperative to distinguish carefully between the rhythms of flourishing and the rhythms of decline in every single thing.

~~~~~

  1. Think of what is right and true.
  2. Practice and cultivate the science.
  3. Become acquainted with the arts.
  4. Know the principles of the crafts.
  5. Understand the harm and benefit in everything.
  6. Learn to see everything accurately.
  7. Become aware of what is not obvious.
  8. Be careful even in small matters.
  9. Do not do anything useless.




0 comments:

Post a Comment