New Year



We were invited to a neighbor's house for festivities.  The challenge is to make it to midnight.  I managed to stay up until 1:30 a.m.  We were with people we have known most of our adult lives; we had plenty of food, drink and great conversation.

I just got off the phone with my sister.  She said to me in no uncertain terms, "It's New Year's day, it's not a big deal."  New Year's is a big deal for me.  It's a time for contemplation and reflection away from the demands of the other holidays.

 However, we should treat each day as holding that promise. So in that respect, it shouldn't be a big deal. I've yet to find a different version of myself in any subsequent year.  Nevertheless, I remain hopeful that in some alternate universe there is a thinner, more fit, smarter version of me.  I'll settle with that I can simply be author of whatever chapters I choose to write in this year's book of life-taking an "I can't" and transforming it into an "I can." For me that is tackling developing some basic drawing skills.

I hope that you have a splendid day and find time for contemplation and reflection--not just for today but each day--and that you write a few pages in your book of life this year that will bring satisfaction.

0 comments:

Post a Comment