Flutterby Block Quilt Block | Jen Kingwell or Serendipity Happens

 I ran across this lovely "Flutterby" quilt block in searching for quilt blocks with split rectangles. I learned that Jen Kingwell created a pattern using this block configuration, and it was featured in Quilt Lovely (her book).  I am a new quilter, so I do not have Jen's patterns nor her book (nor had I heard of her).  

Below are 4 blocks crafted and put together.  Such dynamic color play and movement. (EQ8!!!)

This block is an uneven 9 patch.  So multiples of 3 work well with this as you consider sizing your blocks.


Flutterby Quilt Block Jen Kingwell
Flutterby Quilt Block | Gang of 4

I was writing about my Economy Blocks which I paired with Triangle in Square Blocks (Peaky + Spike/Vblock), and I thought I would make some Split Rectangles.  My  Tri-Recs  tool is a 2 part tool.The "Tri" tool makes the center triangle in a Triangle in Square/Peaky+Spike/VBlock.

The "Recs" portion, which creates the flanking triangles, when paired together, when paired to its mirror creates a rectangle--a split rectangle or half rectangle.  I will settle on "Split Rectangle" or Split Rec for my preferred block name.

I wanted to make a quilt with Split Recs, as I think that it is an interesting block.  It is a deceptive block in that is is simple, but if you get your angles wrong or sizing wrong, it will not look so good when put together.  And that wide crotch seam where the two rectangles come together really will showcase imperfections in your technique.

While I have good tools for making the Triangle in Square Blocks (Peaky + Spike/Vblock), not so much for the split rectangle. UPDATE:  While writing this post, I went to my Deb Tucker "VBLOCK Ruler", and I found that using my rectangle method of cutting blocks for sub-cutting into angles, her tool works wonderfully, AND I can use it for trimming these blocks down to the perfect size.  Now, Deb has Split Recs tool (which I ordered before I had this "Ah Hah!" moment).  I see now that I don't need it, but I don't mind supporting her by having an extra ruler. I will do a comparison, but I already know that having dissected the $#%!$%#^ block (to include the mirroring and mirroring of mirroring on foundation paper piecing), that it will work.  And I have the headache to prove it, and the tears from wrong way blocks. (I should add that I have a Tri-Recs tool that does the VBlock, but it does not offer the trim down opportunities that the VBlock does.  Another duplication of tools, but having done so solidifies the learning/construction for me--and allows me to share the differences with others.

The block below was crafted for a 9" finished block.  4 of these blocks creates the Flutterby effect in the opening picture.  Below is 1/4 of that "Gang of 4".

  •  
  • A 4 patch block that takes of 2/3 of the block's finished size (6" F)
    • It has 3 muted color blocks and 1 colorful block as noted.
      • The 3 muted blocks provide a place for the eye to rest and provide a calm middle for the vibrancy of the movement caused by color changes and shapes of the split rect.
    • You can change up the colorful outside block for delightful colorplay (and use up some colorful squares.
  • A 1 patch of "Nexus" block that is 1/3 the size of the total finished block.  (3" F).
    • The Nexus block remains static throughout and provides color harmony.  (I have a couple of blocks in my opening picture that show different colors than the dark gray.).  
      • This block provides unity to the rectangles, and provides, along with the background colors in the 4 patch a place for the dynamism of the block to unfold without making you go all googly-eyes.
  • Two mirrored Split Rectangles (One Top Left to Bottom Right (TLBR)) and the other Bottom Left to Top Right (BLTR) that are 1/3 in width and 2/3 in height of your finished block.(3" x 6" F)
    • If you are working with these, coming up with a code for identifying the rectangle's properties is helpful. If you are spatially challenged as I am, such a simple block can pose all manner of knitted brows!  Accordingly, I use TLBR and BLTR..using the left as my anchor for reference to help me visualize.
    • Here you can come up with a beautiful melange of colors.  
    • Notice that they create a windmill blades in the intersection of 4 blocks.

The Scissortail Quilting Company has a wonderful post and download on this charming block.  I found it after I had done my own block detective work.  There are not too many references on the internet to this block, and if you visit the links mentioned above, you will see a lovely rendition. No need to duplicate excellent work done by others.  I hope that you'll pay a visit to her excellent post, and beautiful website.

I'll write more as my project/learnings unfold.





0 comments:

Post a Comment