Split rectangles

 

In executing on my Flutterby Quilt Block, Jen Kingwell.  I'm so taken by the block that I ordered her book "Quilt Lovely".  Her blocks are made from templates.  Too fussy for me...and they are a weird size that are not on rulers...not convenient enough for me.  But as the block is a modified nine patch, you can pretty much size it how you will. So I have no problems executing.  Her book has several lovely quilts, and I am happy to support her work and was inspired by her use of color.

I confess...I'm making a 9" Finished block quadrant (4 = 18" square).  I think future renditions will be at a 6" block.  But I'm soldiering on, and I'm not feeling regretful.

In the "you have to kiss a lot of frogs" vein of my personal odyssey to find the optimum way to make this block (when you have 144 to make,  you want to optimize at every step), I created this video. I tried using the rulers that I had; I made templates to paper piece.  I said f-💣 it...I'm getting Deb's Ruler. 

Aside.  I have Deb's VBlock ruler.  Though not advertised to do so, you can absolutely use this ruler to make this block AND to trim it down.  The only difference is the seam line for the trim does not go from corner to corner.  However, there is enough of a line there that so long as you sew you seam correctly, you can be assured that you darn close.  The benefits of the Split Rects is that you can make larger blocks, it has an option line for some fancier cuts, and it has the seam line that follows the block from corner to corner.  For ~$21 on Amazon...it is worth getting.

My verdict.  If you are going to make this block

  • Get Deb Tucker's Diamond Rects Ruler.  Slightly oversize; expertly trim down; and have blocks that will finish perfectly to the size that  you need.
  • Consider using my demonstrated method of cutting the pieces from a rectangle. You can save much time by power cutting your rectangles v. futzing about with realigning your ruler on strips.
    • You can stack and whack your fabrics and make many pairs effortlessly with NO sacrifice in accuracy.
  • Consider using my demonstrated method for trimming
    • Trim all of your blocks using the first trim down pass (if you are right handed, right side, top), then stack them with the same orientation in a pile for the second pass.
    • Rotate the entire stack, then make your second cut.  This time, you are merely lining with the finished guides.
  • Consider glue basting  your seams (so long as you don't plan to press open)
    • You can process many pieces and set them down for some rapid-fire chain piecing.
      • no worries for any shifting
      • glue basting stabilizes the bias.
  • Consider using reversible batiks to make it more foolproof as you train your eyes and brain to work with this block.

0 comments:

Post a Comment