John Lennon's Death: 41 Years Later

 Forty-one years ago I was a college student when John Lennon was killed.    I remember that day well, not so much because I was a Beatles fan but, because of the reaction of a couple of my classmates.

The class/course was 18th Century Art, Music and Literature.  It was taught at Virginia Commonwealth University by Dr. Lyles, Chair of the English Department and Dr. Hester, Chair of the Art Department.  The class was a Sr/Gradual level class.  I was a Jr.  It was one of the most interesting classes I had ever taken (I was an Accounting Major and took all of my electives in the English Department).  Not only was it taught by two luminaries, but my classmates were very interesting.

When I walked into the room the morning after John Lennon had passed (a fact that I didn't even know) a couple of the older classmates were visibly shaken. One,BP, had sunglasses on.  Inside.  In the a.m.

It was clear that something deeply moving/disturbing had happened

"Why the sunglasses?" I asked.  He replied somberly, "I was up all night crying."  I asked if someone had died in his family.    "John Lennon died."  BP was also a musician.

That was a long time ago, and I was but a wee lass.  I remember it so well as if it were yesterday.  Not because of John Lennon, but because of the love that many had for him.

0 comments:

Post a Comment